I always make fun of the idea of New Year’s resolutions. But this year I am going with the flow and giving you a challenge. Many people do the usual thing without any thought as they toast the New Year on New Year’s Eve. Unfortunately, many of these resolutions fade very quickly because the will or resolve in the resolution is not there. After the fizz from the New Year’s Eve will the commitment remain? In many cases, the answer is no.
My favorite example is at my Gym. Next week I will need to get there early to account for the increased number of people who have just signed up. But like every year, by the end of February there will be plenty of room.
Why do people fail to keep New Year’s resolutions? In most cases it was something to do. Maybe they were even forced into it. And they probably didn’t mean it but everyone else was doing it. Well, how about challenging yourself and making a meaningful goal, set it in motion, and achieve it. Once again, start with the WHY.
What are your burning wants and desires in your personal life or in your business life? Start by making a list of your desires. Here are some ideas to begin your thought process.
• Do you want to improve your knowledge, formal education, get another degree or certification? WHY?
• Would you like to increase your social contacts, increase your circle of friends, increase your network? WHY?
• Is your physical health important, do you want to run a marathon, take a vacation, eat healthy, lose weight? WHY?
• How do you feel about your financial situation, do you need to plan, do you need to control your expenses, do you need to increase your income? WHY?
• Do you want to spend more quality time with your family, do you want to help your children, do you want to be more supportive of your significant other? WHY?
• Are you living your personal values, would you like to see your values applied more to your business, would you like to set a better example? WHY?
• Do you want to be more productive in your career or business, do you want to find more potential customers, do you want a more robust social media and marketing effort? WHY?
• Do you want to get more appointments, close more sales, get more business from networking? WHY?
• Do you want to make better use of your time, do you want to meet your deadlines, do you want to spend less time getting results? WHY?
Now, the best way to test a resolution or a goal is to ask yourself why you want it in the first place. What will happen if you don’t achievement? Don’t do it to please someone else. Don’t do it because someone told you that you should do it. Who knows the most about what you want? You do!
or call 914-953-4458.